freetds - RE: [freetds] Named Pipe

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Named Pipe
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:21:08 +0200

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:32:34 +0200, "ZIGLIO Frediano"
> <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com> wrote:
> > Some week ago I
> > found jCIFS (LGPL, same license of FreeTDS) however this project is
> > written in Java... Before starting converting code to C,
> anybody know
> > any C project with compatible license?
>
> I'll avoid saying anything nasty about a 20 year old
> nonrouteable protocol that even Microsoft would abandon if
> they could, and ask ... just curious ... why? Just for the
> challenge, or do you see some advantage? I would be
> skeptical of any efficiency claim.
>
> Best,

Mainly completeness. From mssql 7 TCP/IP is installed by default.
Currently named pipe work over TCP/IP so are slower then direct TCP/IP
however named pipe use have also some advantages mainly related to
remote connections. A named pipe is always attached to a security token
(just like a trusted connection).
So, it's not my main TODO however if named pipe support can be written
in a day or two...