freetds - RE: [freetds] Testing charset

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Testing charset
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:19:08 -0400

The "don't overwrite freetds.conf client charset" comment is mine. I'm
relying on the "client charset" entry in freetds.conf, not
nl_langinfo(CODESET). Absolutely I think freetds.conf should supersede any
environmental localization; that lets misconfigured or misunderstood clients
function. That includes applications that, for whatever reason, fail to
call setlocale(3). Do you agree?

For testing, I connect to the same server using different sections in
freetds.conf. Each server has its own "client charset" entry.

I would like to start using locale_charset(3) to get the client charset
name, but I'm have a hard time pursuading autoconf that I have it installed.
I'm pretty sure I have to modify aclocal.m4, where we locate libiconv. That
code came from Bruno Haible; maybe I should ask him if he's extended it or
has something else for locale_charset().

out such orders and/or instructions.