freetds - RE: [freetds] Can configure but failes with make

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Hirsch, Jonathan" <jonathan.hirsch AT gs.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Can configure but failes with make
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:02:05 -0400

Yea something changed, I switched to a solaris 2.8 server with a later build
of the gnu tools. I uploaded at least three separate config files at your
request to source forge. No one ever got back to me except to say that the
files were not complete.
I got the code to compile. The reason why I was having trouble was because
of my limited knowledge of C and my serious lack of understanding of the
configure program. I'm stating for the record that I don't like the
configure program. Others may disagree but I'm entitled to my opinion. A
Makefile file with comments where I should specify my includes and libs
would have been easier for me to negotiate with. This is what I had to type
in to get it to recognize everything.

# export
$PATH=/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95.2:/usr/bin:
/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/export/opt2/gnu 1.2/bin:/export/opt2/gnu-1.2:.

#export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/lib:/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/lib/gcc-lib/sp
arc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95.2

#./configure --build=sparc-sun-solaris2.8
CPPFLAGS="-I/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/include
-I/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95.2/include
-I/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/include -I/usr/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/export/opt2/gnu-1.2/lib"

No great shakes here but quite a lot to specify and lots of trial and error
for me. Also the code cannot properly determine the --build type when you
use the sun supplied cpp program.

Additionally I had to copy several of the crt1.o and similar library files
to the base installation dir and additional src dirs or the make step would
complain :file not found:. I know that this is because of a lack of
understanding on my part, not configure.

I am unable to compile on our Solaris 2.6 server no matter what I do. I am
curious that nowhere on the freetds web pages it states the minimum
requirements to compile or recommended versions to use to compile.

Take care,

Jon