freetds - RE: [freetds] Can configure but failes with make

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Can configure but failes with make
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:49:47 -0400

I take it something changed? Last I heard, you couldn't run configure.

configure inspected your machine, looking for asprintf(), and determined you
have none. To check me, look in config.h; you'll find HAVE_ASPRINTF is not
defined. Then make tries to build our replacement for asprintf(), and fails
because it can't find the required definitions. To top it off, the
definition it wants is in the pre-standard varargs.h file, instead of
stdarg.h:

$ grep va_a*list /usr/include/varargs.h /usr/include/stdarg.h
/usr/include/varargs.h:#define va_alist __builtin_va_alist
/usr/include/varargs.h: ((ap) = (va_list)&__builtin_va_alist)
/usr/include/stdarg.h:typedef _BSD_VA_LIST_ va_list;
/usr/include/stdarg.h: ((ap) = (va_list)__builtin_next_arg(last))

src/replacements/asprintf.c is bone simple. Your system doesn't need it,
I'm sure, but you should be able to compile it with just "cc asprintf.c".
Else something is up with the base system.

It looks from here that you have to tell cc where to look for your include
files. Solaris must have asprintf(), so grepping for that should locate the
right include directory. On my system, it's defined in stdio.h, not exactly
an out-of-the-way location. Set your CFLAGS accordingly. I'm still
puzzled, though, because I can't understand how your machine could build
anything successfully, and still cause configure to fail to notice
asprintf(). Is there more than one stdio or stdarg on your system?

--jkl