freetds - [freetds] DSN connection problem using Solaris 2.8, unixODBC and freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Tref Gare" <TrefG AT areeba.com.au>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] DSN connection problem using Solaris 2.8, unixODBC and freetds
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:07:50 +1000

Hi list,

I'm relatively new to this stuff in particular and Unix in general. Hence
I'm struggling a bit with getting the configuration right. I've google
trawled and gone through the documentation of both freetds and unixODBC to no
avail as yet and the good folk over at unixODBC have been some help but
suggested I try this list as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Our system is:
Solaris 2.8
Freetds
unixODBC
php-4.3
SQL server 2000
All running through/alongside Apache 2.0.43

The installation went for all of the above went fairly smoothly, but when I
try to test the dsn I've created I get nowhere. Tsql doesn't seem to have
been installed with freetds as the documentation is suggesting it should have
been so I'm unable to test the freetds elements independently, but when I
attempt to test the connections between freetds and unixODBC I'm getting
errors suggesting the DSN doesn't exist.

unixODBC is looking for its system dsn in /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini. I've hand
edited the ini file there (see below) and also the one in the root of the
website (root's home) to no avail.

[phpBBForums]
Driver = TDS
Description = PHPBB database
Trace = No
Servername = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Database = foo
UID = bar

When I run isql I get:

#:isql -v phpBBForums bar barpwd
ld.so.1: isql: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so: symbol gethostbyname: referenced symbol
not found
Killed

freetds.conf lives in /usr/local/freetds/etc/freetds.conf and looks like this
[phpBBForums]
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
port=1433
tds version= 7.0

usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
(blank after odbcinst -i -s -f tds.datasource.template, the following was
added manually)
[phpBBForums]
Driver = TDS
Description = PHPBB database
Trace = No
Servername = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Database = phpBB_Forums
UID = blah
PWD = blah

usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
(this populated successfully by odbcinst -i -d -f tds.driver.templatea)
----
[TDS]
Description = freetds driver with protocol 7.0
Driver = /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
FileUsage = 1

Any further guidance/advice will be much appreciated.

thanks

Tref

"This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and contains information that is confidential. No confidentiality is
waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If you received this correspondence
in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete it from your
system. You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this
correspondence if you are not the intended recipient. Any communication
directed to clients via this message is subject to our Agreement and relevant
Project Schedule. Any information that is transmitted via email which may
offend may have been sent without knowledge or the consent of Areeba."