freetds - [freetds] debug/ndebug

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] debug/ndebug
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:17:27 -0400

Freddy,

configure.in: disable debug by default

Is this about assert()?

When you change configure.in, you change the nightly snapshot and the
distributions. Maybe those would be good changes, but I think we should
discuss them.

I don't think --enable-extra-checks should mean "#define DEBUG 1". I
frankly don't know what it should mean. I can see having a --debug and
--release, or --debug={yes|no}.

I think as a developer's library in a state of high flux, it's good to
have DEBUG defined in the nightly snapshots. I think everyone -- users
and developers alike -- is *much* better off that way. Those interested
in extreme performance can turn it off, when they're sure it will help.
At least they'll know they did so.

I don't think assert() is expensive, certainly not the 4X problem you
suggested. I tried to demonstrate as much to you. But I will refrain
from using it in the ODBC library, in deference to you.

I don't claim to know all the answers. I'd like to solicit other opinions
and discuss the issue openly, in hopes of developing a consensus.

Regards,