freetds - RE: [freetds] column_unicodedata considered harmful

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] column_unicodedata considered harmful
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:14:09 -0500

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the offer. I'll probably work up a unittest, but being more of a
lazy programmer than an eXtreme Programmer, I'd rather do that toward the
end of my seismic shift.

UTF-8 issues with Sybase:

1. Are metadata stored in UTF-8? Can table/column names contain accented
characters? If it does, what's the value of column_namelen in
tds_process_col_name()?
2. How wide is a varchar(30) column if the Sybase charset is UTF-8?

If you could poke around with gdb, I'm sure the information would be
valuable.

Moving, ugh.

--jkl