freetds - [freetds] bcp fixes and freebcp

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] bcp fixes and freebcp
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:15:47 -0500

All,

I just applied fixes to bcp.c and dblib.c that address two segment fault
conditions that were due to insufficient buffer sizes. I just used freebcp
to load 23 different tables, some of which have 180 columns.

Although it could do a better job of detecting mismatches between the data
file and the table layout, on the whole freebcp is approaching the vendors'
utilities in terms of quality.

I might mention that FreeTDS is better in my particluar situtation than
anything else. Some years ago, I discovered that Sybase's pre-System 10
dblib could not load very wide tables. I never looked into it, but it's
almost certainly a 4.2 protocol limitation. To work around the problem, we
split the data vertically into three narrower ones, and loaded them. Why
were we using Sybase's old libraries? That was the only db-lib available on
a Unix platform that would connect to a Microsoft data server.

With FreeTDS, we're now able to load the tables in their native form, no
matter how wide. Such are the joys. Have a good weekend.

out such orders and/or instructions.

  • [freetds] bcp fixes and freebcp, Lowden, James K, 03/14/2003