freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 00:33:24 -0500

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:23:41 -0600, Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:22:32PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > > Failing that, it's always possible to double the structure. <shrug>
>
> > This is safest, but would need a different answer for binary
> > compatibility.
>
> Because DBDATEREC is a public structure, any size changes are also a
> binary-incompatible change. If two separate month fields are to be
> included (a minimum requirement if we're providing both sets of
> semantics), an ABI change is unavoidable.

Oh, we're on different wavelengths here. I had in mind a future configure
switch:

--with-abi= [sybase|microsoft|freetds] #default freetds

superseding --with-sybase-compat.

We've already taken baby steps down that road. I don't know where it
ends.