freetds - RE: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:30:10 -0500

Hi Frank,

Regarding detection of settings, that's been a complaint of mine since ever,
so I'm going to fix that for you. I'll add a little structure to libtds
that will hold all the configure-time settings, a function to query them,
and a little utility (or tsql feature) to write them to stdout. Did I miss
anything?

Regarding --enable-msdblib, I think we're going to find more and more
divergence (true by definition, unless and until Microsoft buys Sybase or
something -- they're not trying to be compatible). But, perhaps we could
react at runtime. That would reduce --enable-msdblib to the same role that
--with-tdsver plays: setting a default behavior in lieu of a runtime
setting. And we could provide a function to set the behavior at runtime,
offering projects like PHP the ability to switch at will.

Steve, what kind of anonymous union would fix the name conflicts in
dbdaterec at runtime? That's not a C feature I use very much.

Brian, We need compatibility with Microsoft on lots of levels. The db-lib
API is subtly different (including error handling). Server detection is
different, especially if we support named instances and discovery. It's
quite apparent that there's interest in Microsoft binary compatibility on
Win32, too, which is a bit mystifying; the only rationale I can see is TDS
5.0 support in the same DLL. Still, the interest is there.

Regarding 0.61 timing, do we really want to address this now? I think 0.61
is basically ready; I'm waiting mostly for access to the website to update
the news and links. I appreciate the soname issue (I think), but IMO 0.61
is signed, sealed, and as ready for delivery as a baby at 9 1/2 months.
However, I'm ready to follow the consensus if someone whips up the changes
we need.

If I'm overlooking something, please say.

out such orders and/or instructions.