freetds - [freetds] Re: cursor support through TDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <sgray AT inventa.com>
  • To: "Thompson, Bill D " "(London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • Cc: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: cursor support through TDS
  • Date: 24 Jan 2003 09:05:56 -0500

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 07:39, Thompson, Bill D (London) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone (Brian?, Scott?) enlighten me on cursor support within Sybase/SQL
> Server/TDS ?
> I am investigating a Sybase ct-library application which I am contemplating
> porting to MS SQL
> This application makes heavy use of ct_cursor() API calls, and this function
> is not implemented in FreeTDS.
>
> I might have a go at adding the code, but I'm unsure if there is an
> equivalent concept in SQL server, and if there is, whether there is a TDS
> protocol in TDS 7.0 to support this functionality.
> >From the looks of the MS SQL server online help there is very little
> >mention
> of cursors, leading me to believe that this may be a complete non-starter...

Microsoft DB-Library does have cursor functionality--which I would
assume does native TDS cursor manipulation. See below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dblibc/dbc_pdc05_5u0l.asp

The bug question, of course, is what does the TDS look like? I
strongly suspect that it bears _very_ little resemblance to
Sybase's.

IMHO, my recommendation would be to _NOT_ use native TDS for
cursor manipulation at all, instead you could map ct-library
cursor calls to straight SQL based cursor calls (in fact,
once I was profiling an ODBC application on MS SQL Server
that was doing cusor manipulations and I saw a ton of calls
to sp_cursor, leading me to believe they do the same thing).

I think you'll find that this model is _much_ easier to
support.

-scott
--
Scott C. Gray <sgray AT inventa.com> | Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum
Dir. of Eng., ESM Integrator | videtur -- Whatever is said in