freetds - RE: [freetds] cursor support through TDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] cursor support through TDS
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:52:24 +0100

> Hi,
>
> can anyone (Brian?, Scott?) enlighten me on cursor support
> within Sybase/SQL
> Server/TDS ?
> I am investigating a Sybase ct-library application which I am
> contemplating
> porting to MS SQL
> This application makes heavy use of ct_cursor() API calls,
> and this function
> is not implemented in FreeTDS.
>
> I might have a go at adding the code, but I'm unsure if there is an
> equivalent concept in SQL server, and if there is, whether
> there is a TDS
> protocol in TDS 7.0 to support this functionality.
> From the looks of the MS SQL server online help there is very
> little mention
> of cursors, leading me to believe that this may be a complete
> non-starter...
> ...although I can see stuff in the Sybase TDS 5.0
> specification that appears
> to support client-server operations on cursors, and this
> seems to tie up
> with the operations in ct-library ct_cursor()
>
> My conclusion from all this is that the ct_cursor()
> functionality , and the
> associated TDS message streams, are completely bespoke to
> Sybase and we are
> not going to be able to implement these for SQL server.
>
> Any views ?
>
> TIA,

For Sybase I think TDS5 specification is the good place.
For mssql look this page
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql7/html
/sqlquerproc.asp
Bill, have you still problem with CVS access ?

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."