freetds - [freetds] Re: FreeTDS for Macintosh Question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: "Chris Capobianco" <chris AT dps-ct.com>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS for Macintosh Question
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:59:15 -0500

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:36:18 -0500, "Chris Capobianco" <chris AT dps-ct.com>
wrote:
Our Macintosh application currently communicates with Microsoft SQL
Server 6.5-7.0 using Visigenic ODBC drivers. We use Metrowerks
CodeWarrior 8.0 to develop our application.

The Visigenic drivers do not work with Microsoft SQL 2000 nor Mac OSX.
Is it possible to use FreeTDS to create Macintosh ODBC drivers to
communicate with SQL 2000? Can the FreeTDS libraries be linked into a
CodeWarrior 8.0 project?

For Mac OS 9, no. It just isn't possible to create ODBC drivers for Mac OS 9. With all the requests I've had over the years for them, I could probably retire if I'd figured out a way to do it (ok, not that many requests, but a lot). The required SDK is owned by DataDirect Technologies (formerly Merant) and considered proprietary -- they won't give it out, and I've talked directly with programmers and managers.

For Mac OS X, it is theoretically possible with FreeTDS and iODBC, but not directly from a CFM application. You'd need to put all your database code in a Mach-O bundle and dynamically load it into your CFM application. For a Mach-O application, you can link directly to ODBC and/or FreeTDS.

If you are interested in working directly with FreeTDS, I have a CodeWarrior project for FreeTDS, but it is based on very old code (pre 0.53) and doesn't work well with SQL Server 2000. I'd love it if someone would update the source code to the current version of FreeTDS, but it required a lot of source code changes so each file would have to be updated by hand. I've given up updating Mac OS 9 code.

DataDirect has CFM SQL Server 2000 ODBC drivers for both Mac OS 9 and X, but they aren't cheap. <http://www.datavations.com/estore/category.cfm?Category=1>

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin