freetds - [freetds] Re: FreeTDS for Macintosh Question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Chris Capobianco" <chris AT dps-ct.com>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS for Macintosh Question
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:49:29 -0500

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:36:18 -0500, "Chris Capobianco" <chris AT dps-ct.com>
wrote:
> Our Macintosh application currently communicates with Microsoft SQL
> Server 6.5-7.0 using Visigenic ODBC drivers. We use Metrowerks
> CodeWarrior 8.0 to develop our application.
>
> The Visigenic drivers do not work with Microsoft SQL 2000 nor Mac OSX.
> Is it possible to use FreeTDS to create Macintosh ODBC drivers to
> communicate with SQL 2000? Can the FreeTDS libraries be linked into a
> CodeWarrior 8.0 project?

Chris,

The best answer is "probably".

If you are using OS X, then yes, FreeTDS has already been built on that
system. You need Gnu gcc and a recent version of libtool to create a
dynalib (I think it's called) but you won't be blazing a new trail. As a
matter of fact, you may find it's already packaged and published.

Whether our ODBC implementation is sufficiently complete to replace the
Visigenic drivers, I can't say (because I have no idea).

As to linking with CodeWarrior, I don't see why not; it should be like
linking to any dynamic library.

I personally have no experience with any Mac system, never having used
one. Others on the mailing list do, though. I suggest you subscribe, to
tap into folks with the experience you need.

Best,