freetds - RE: [freetds] php/ASA connectivity troubleshooting

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] php/ASA connectivity troubleshooting
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:18:16 -0500

You are correct, if I correctly understand "ASA" to be Sybase SQL Anywhere.

You need TDS version 5.0, port 2638. You should at least be able to connect
to the port with telnet. If you haven't already seen it, the nightly
snapshot includes an updated User Guide in which you'll find this
documented.

> The sysadmin of the remote system claims to have read that
> freetds does
> not work with ASA, but I have read otherwise numerous times. I suspect
> that because we are able to make the connection above, and communicate
> with the server in some way, that it is a configuration
> problem with the database server.

As much as anyone, I wrote the UG, and Brian's responsible for any SQL
Anywhere assertions. I don't remember ever saying "it doesn't work". What
it says now is what you probably found in the archives:

"Our best information is that SQL Anywhere first supported TDS in version
5.5.03 using the OpenServer Gateway (OSG), and native TDS 5.0 support
arrived with version 6.0."

I wonder, what does your documentation say about, "ASA Error -75: Request to
start/stop database denied"? That doesn't sound like a protocol problem....

If you can telnet to the port but can't connect with tsql, and are sure it's
not a permissions problem, please post a TDSDUMP log of the session (taking
care to erase the passwords). If the server is responding abnormally, it
should show up there.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.