freetds - Warning: Sybase: column [X] has unknown data type (104)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "David Clark" <dclark AT rastardm.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Warning: Sybase: column [X] has unknown data type (104)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:05:25 -0500

We currently run FreeTDS 0.60 through PHP4.2.3 on Linux (Mandrake 8.1,
kernel 2.4.3) to connect to a SQLServer 2000 database running on Win2K.
When we made the upgrade to 0.60 (from 0.53) we noticed that some of our
queries started generating warning messages like "Warning: Sybase: column
1 has unknown data type (104)". This problem doesn't seem to happen in
version 0.60, if we set the TDS version for the database connection to 4.2
- however, doing so causes us to lose other features (of the TDS ver 7.0
and 8.0 connections) that I'd rather not give up, i.e. greater than 255
character varchar fields.

The warnings only seem to be generated for bit columns, in relatively
large queries. For instance, the case I'm mentioning occurs when I join
several tables together and return all the columns from one table (the one
containing the bit fields) and several fields from the other tables -
however, when I just do a SELECT * FROM the primary table (again, the one
with the bit fields) everything seems to work fine.

If it were just that a warning message was being generated, it wouldn't be
so bad, but in addition no values from the "unknown" columns can be
retrieved through the MSSQL_FETCH* functions.

Anyone have any suggestions?