freetds - RE: Proposed change

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Proposed change
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:06:38 +0100

> I'll try to install rpm 4.x on the build box. I'm intending
> a source rpm,
> not an i386 binary. OK?

Ok, but I don't know how to build only a source rpm... I always built source
rpm AND i386...

> > strip remove debugging information, not debugging code. All
> assert or
> > logging are still there...
>
> I see.
>
> I think assert() on most platforms is a no-op when compiled
> without -g (or
> whatever "release mode" flags the compiler uses.
>
> We have two mechanisms available to quiet the debugging and
> logging output:
>

> 1. #ifdef NDEBUG. Is this standard? Is any such thing?
> 2. g_debug_lvl. I would prefer an enumerated type:
> enum tds_debug_level {release, testing, debugging,
> insecure, maximum};
> Functions to set/get g_debug_lvl (in src/tds/util.c), and the
> log writer
> tdsdump_log() would respect the setting.

NDEBUG is the standard for assert. For tdsdump_log... no idea... I was
thinking using some macro processing for do not compile at all (instead if
calling a function that do nothing...) but perhaps is not possible...

> Is that enough? We could set the default to "debugging".
>
> On that topic, it seems we have eliminated login packets from the log.
> That's more secure, but makes debugging login problems more
> difficult. I
> haven't looked into this, though, so I might be a little
> behind the state of
> logging art.

I didn't know this...

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."