freetds - Re: indent(1) bent

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: indent(1) bent
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, I'm getting really sick of this. It's seems to come up about every
six months or so. Last time we wrote a CodingStyle document to address
this. Anyway, I'll weigh in with my thoughts (although don't feel I have
any more weight than anyone else).

I like tabs. Having to hit space multiple times to align code slows me
down tremendously. I know there are ways to tie tab to produce multiple
spaces but that means I have to be modal when moving between projects
(invoking an alias to change behaviour when I edit a freetds file or a
file from another project).

Where character by character alignment is wanted, tabs are wholly
inappropriate. In the case of:

if (a == b ||
b == c) {

there are 3 spaces or a tab in front of if, but from the if to the 'b =='
part there are 4 spaces. So, if you say indentions are x spaces, you
violating that too. Whether you use tabs or spaces for indention is moot
because that is not indention it's column alignment, if you get me. I
have no problem with tab indenting and then using spaces to align,
although some will surely argue the aesthetics of that.

And freddy, the CodingStyle document specifies functions to be written
without a space between name and (, so that is the policy at present.

Brian