freetds - Re: indent(1) bent

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: indent(1) bent
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:30:10 -0400

At 8:52 PM +0200 10/24/2002, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
Using tabspace 8

variable = myfunction(param1, param2,
param3);

unaligned...

Is this a problem?

I'm for not aligning parameters... I've never seen the benefit to be worth the trade-off in space/tab issues (esp. using arrow keys). If a line runs over, I just ident all lines after the first by an extra tab.

And someone else mentioned only using tabs for initial indents, and then spaces for any idealized positioning after that. I don't have a problem with that, if alignment is really necessary (like in a really complex if condition).

personally I like to limit sources to 80 column, so I can print with
default characters.

Me too, though there are times when you can't help it. Another reason I prefer the tabs to be a short as possible, but then sometimes I'll adjust my editor to use tabstops=2 before I print to make it fit.

I'm using vim and Anjuta (I think based on scintilla)...
Anyone know some quick manual for C/C++ programmer to emacs? Some
prepared simple configurations?

No! Don't go over to the darkside!!

(I've never even used vim, just regular vi.)

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin