freetds - Re: indent(1) bent

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: indent(1) bent
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:27:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> I like tabs. They're more flexible than blanks.

I know this risks starting a religious bloodbath, but I'll register a
different opinion. I think tabs are horrible. Ever since editors had
the capability of visually representing tabs as a configurable number of
spaces (a long time ago) I've worked on few multi-developer projects in
which all the developers agreed on (a) whether tabs should be used and
(b) how many spaces the tabs represent. As a result, most source code
ends up very difficult to read, because no matter what you tell your
editor about how to represent the tab, code which has been touched by
more than one developer doesn't have consistent visual indentation.
The only projects on which consistent, legible code had a prayer were
those in which hard tabs were avoided completely.

That's my 2 cents.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com