freetds - Re: TDSFREE on HPUX--- " There is not enough memor y available now"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Castellano, Nicholas" <Nicholas_Castellano AT acml.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TDSFREE on HPUX--- " There is not enough memor y available now"
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:42:48 -0400

It may not be quite that simple. The configure flag "--enable-threadsafe"
defines the macros _REENTRANT and _THREAD_SAFE. These are used in system
header files to determine whether reentrancy is needed. So if you don't use
"--enable-threadsafe" you may not get reentrant system code.

We have a way to specify that the normal gethostby*() calls are already
reentrant. Arrange for SOCK_REENTRANT to be defined in
tds_sysdep_private.h.in on your platform. (This macro should probably be
renamed to NETDB_REENTRANT to accurately reflect the behavior it
defines...I'll likely do that today).

Unfortunately that's not quite good enough...configure will fail if you
specify "--enable-threadsafe" and it doesn't find gethostby*_r() functions.
I will look at how to handle this...either by moving the SOCK_REENTRANT
[NETDB_REENTRANT] detection into configure, or simply by removing the
configure-time failure in this case (we already have build-time checks in
threadsafe.c that will ensure consistency.)

However, with the checks for libd4r that I added a couple of days ago, this
really isn't a pressing issue right now...it will find and use the
gethostby*_r() functions in that library, as long as "--enable-threadsafe"
is used. It's not really important that the man pages suggest that this
interface should no longer be used -- as long as it still works.

Cheers,
--nick