freetds - Re: TDSFREE on HPUX--- " There is not enough memor - y available now"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TDSFREE on HPUX--- " There is not enough memor - y available now"
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:51:35 -0400

Always glad to find another, um, participant. ;)

> I added LIBS="-ld4r $LIBS" up near the top of the configure
> script, and now

That was enterprising. Noted.

> the configure script seems to be able to work out the correct
> prototypes for
> the three get*_r() functions, and will now compile with the
> --enable-threadsafe switch (still have some core dumps in
> dblib unittests, strangely enough less of them).

Mark, have you tried configuring without "--enable-threadsafe"? If there
are nonthreadsafe issues, I'd like to solve them first, because not every
HPUX user will need threadsafe operation. And to simplify our
troubleshooting.

> Here is a piece of the man page for the functions in HPUX
> need to include /usr/include/netdb.h.
>
> OBSOLESCENT INTERFACES
> int gethostent_r(struct hostent *result,
> struct hostent_data *buffer);
[...]

What were they replaced with? It would seem there's some other way HPUX
would like us to get the hostname?

> >If you can provide a bt and a log of the session that dumps core
> a bt ???, logging turns on with an environment var doesn't it ?

Yes, logging is turned on with TDSDUMP,
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x2052.htm#AEN2056

"bt" means "backtrace"; it's the command you enter in the gdb debugger to
display the call stack. Its output tells us by what route the program
arrived at the fault, and should tell us on what line it failed. Just do:

$ gdb <unittest>
GNU gdb 5.0nb1
[...]
(gdb) run
[message about fault]
(gdb) bt
[stack trace output]
(gdb) quit

Copy the business and paste it here. Sorry if that was obvious. Not
everyone reading the list has done it.

> vasprintf.c: In function `vasprintf':
> vasprintf.c:93: parse error at end of input
> gmake[2]: *** [vasprintf.lo] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/mstrong/freetds-0.60/src/replacements'
>
> This is from the freetds-current.tgz (not having a good run am I).

Nor I. The nightly snapshot didn't; cron and I have to have a talk(1).

Meanwhile, I've posted a current snapshot at
http://www.schemamania.org/freetds-today.tgz. It won't be very quick to
download from there, but at least it's up to date. It definitely includes
Nick's repair to the above problem.

To recap:

Try freetds-today.tgz.
Try without "--enable-threadsafe"
(if that works, great, we're halfway home.)
Turn on logging.
Post the log and the bt for the unittest.
Relax and see what happens.

Regards,

original message. Please note that for certain accounts we do not accept
orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and for those accounts we will not be
responsible for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. Kindly refrain
from sending orders or instructions by e-mail unless you have confirmed that
we accept such communications for your account. Please also note that to
satisfy regulatory requirements we review the outgoing and incoming e-mail
correspondence of staff members serving certain functions.