freetds - Re: ODBC patch suggestion

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ODBC patch suggestion
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:04:11 +0200

> Another thing I'd like to put forward. ODBC should be able to operate
> sans a freetds.conf file being present. We obviously need
> the conf file
> for dblib and ctlib, but there is no reason that the ODBC
> driver couldn't
> read the odbc.ini for the info and fill in a TDSCONFIG
> structure itself.
> This would make life simpler for ODBC-only users, which we seem to be
> gaining over time.

As you note is a TODO.

> I recommend using 'Servername = foo' to refer to the
> freetds.conf entry
> and 'Hostname = foo' to operate independantly. When I get
> some time free
> time again I'll take a crack at it, unless someone wants to take it on
> before then.

I suggest use server instead of hostname, because is more ms compatible, so
use servername for use freetds.conf and server for only odbc.
ms specification tell to use hostname:port for specify tcp/ip port.
Trusted connection has his specification ("Trusted_Connection=Yes").
For domain we can use the form domain\user.
For timeout odbc have his default timeouts.
What about other feature (client charset, tds version) ? Use global
environment or C locale?

> Brian

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."