freetds - performance fix on freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: performance fix on freetds
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:59:25 -0400

All (Nick Castellano in particular),

I've just been testing freetds 0.60 with a tool called quantify (from
rational software). This excellent little tool tells you in enormous and
wonderful detail how long your program spends performing each line of
code.

This program told me that freetds was spending most of its time (apart
from reading from sockets of course) in tdsdump_log(), even though logging
was switched off. This accounted for 98% of the time spent doing
tds_process_row(), for example.

I've noticed that in version 1.15 of tds/util.c , Nick has eradicated this
problem, by moving the fflush to it's rightful place in the code. So, if
you didn't know it already Nick, you removed a performance bottleneck as
well as correcting the code!

Cheers!

Bill

  • performance fix on freetds, Bill Thompson, 10/09/2002