freetds - RE: unixodbc library pickup

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: unixodbc library pickup
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:05:49 -0500

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 02:30:23PM -0400, Castellano, Nicholas wrote:

> I agree with Merijn. I'm not really sure that Steve disagrees, I think he's
> just griping about how much ELF sucks (and I'd have to agree with that).

No, I've always found ELF more than sufficient for my needs; it's libtool
that I'm specifically griping about. :) Debian packaging policy
specifically prohibits the use of rpath in ELF binaries, because it's
an additional lookup that's always either redundant or wrong. (Policy
also requires all our libs to be in certain directories within the
library path). Libtool is great about setting rpath when installing
sources into the packaging directory, which means binaries end up with an
rpath encoded that points to a directory that only exists on the machine
of the person building the package. :P

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer