freetds - RE: unixodbc library pickup

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Merijn Broeren <merijnb AT iloquent.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: unixodbc library pickup
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:40:45 +0200

Quoting Thompson, Bill D (London) (ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com):
> Merjin,
>
> Or you just make sure that the unixodbc/lib directory is in your
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> You'll need it there anyway, at runtime.

No. Read for instance:

http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

Please join the civilised world. Look at my libtdsodbc.so :

ldd /dist/fsf/PROJ/freetds/0.60/lib/libtdsodbc.so
libodbcinst.so.1 => /dist/fsf/unixodbc/2.2.3/lib/libodbcinst.so.1
libsocket.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
libnsl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1
libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
libm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libm.so.1
libthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
libmp.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
/usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise/lib/libc_psr.so.1

This is done by adding a rpath. libtools supports this just fine and
dandy. LD_LIBRARY_PATH just doesn't scale, you need to wrap your
programs in shell scripts if you want to do that, or descend into the
madness of gigantic paths, library version clashes etc.

Cheers,
--
Merijn Broeren | 'I want to understand everything. I want to know every-
Software Geek | thing and put it all together to see what it means.'