freetds - RE: "compute" data in TDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "compute" data in TDS
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:56:37 +0100

Freddy,

Its the data returned by a server when a "compute" clause is present on a
query.

You may not know (as I didn't ) that you can specify a compute clause like
this :

USE pubs

SELECT type, price, advance
FROM titles
ORDER BY type
COMPUTE SUM(price), SUM(advance) BY type

On the wire the server sends back some extra "results" messages , describing
the computed data, and extra "row" messages, containing the computed data.
We currently don't handle this data very well.

Bill