freetds - turn off padding of CHAR with spaces?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Chris Hernandez" <christian AT unsw.edu.au>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: turn off padding of CHAR with spaces?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 04:57:26 -0400

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my FreeTDS to version 0.60 and now find that when I
run a SELECT query from PHP, the reply now comes back padded with spaces
to the length of the field on the database. This did not happen
previously.

This has broken some code and I am wondering if there is someway to stop
this particular behaviour. Just out of curiosity, is this a feature or a
bug?

Unfotunately I am not in a position to change the code (there is lots of
it!), nor am I able to change the data types on the database itself.

I am running a PHP 4.2.2 + FreeTDS 0.60 setup on a FreeBSD 4.2/Intel box,
talking to an MS-SQL 7 server running NT 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Hernandez.