freetds - RE: DBLIB Unit Tests failing again

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: DBLIB Unit Tests failing again
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:05:09 -0400

Hi again,

> > There are several issues here. I had a look at the input and
> > output files
> > from David and notice the following:
> >
> > 1) I can't see any evidence of the out file being "null
> > filled" - it looks
> > OK to me
>
> Thats why I attached the files. Take a look at the .out file with
> a hex-editor (eg UltraEdit), or dump it (od -x t0016.out) and you will
> see the rows of 00s after each line.

Dave,

I can see the problem now. The nulls are actually attached to the end of
the varchar(255) field . I have tracked down the root cause of this now.

All,

The problem lies in some changes done to dbconvert in version 1.49 of
dblib.c
This code has (as we know) been batted back and forth a number of times
with a number of valuable improvements being made along the way. This
makes me reluctant to just blindly restore my old version of the offending
lines...
That said, I will attempt to think it through and build a patch that sorts
it out.

I'm pretty sure (thinking it through) that it's only the bcp functionality
that should have a problem with this, or am I right in recollecting other
posts complaining about unwanted nulls at the end of data ?

Bill