freetds - Re: FreeTDS branch ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Varley, David(CBorn at Alcoa)" <David.Varley AT alcoa.com.au>
  • To: 'TDS Development Group' <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS branch ?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:01:23 +0800

> > I'm debating whether a bug that affects lesser used and out of
> > date platforms (DU 4.0f, ahem we got rid of ours about three
> > years ago) is
> > worth the developer time of branching and going through the release
> > process or just expecting those folks to move onto the CVS or
> > snapshot
> > version. This is not to dis DU, we're obviously going make
> > sure it works
> > moving forward, but is it worth the time?
> >

> Was so old ??
> I didn't know. However this problem is present even in 5.x version
> (parameter order is different from other unices, so.. core if
> threadsafe
> enabled).

Hmmm, we only bought ours as new systems about 3 years back (April 1999),
to replace OSF/1 Version 3 alphas (some of which are still running), and
that was the latest release of the OS at the time! I know Vn5 was released
(with a $99 personal use licence) but at this stage its not worth going thru
the pain of an upgrade.
They must have changed the __osf__ to __digital__ at the 4->5 transition,
better late than never I suppose. I wonder if __compaq__ ever made it, or
if __hp__ will get a look in? :)

I wouldn't bother spending oto much time on DU, _except_ that with its
64-bit
architecture it makes a good test bed for finding incompatabilities that may
otherwise trip us up later with IA-64 deployment.

David