freetds - Re: FreeTDS branch ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS branch ?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:56:31 -0400 (EDT)

If we have things that worked in 0.53 and no longer work, then I would
consider doing a 0.60pl1 specifically to address those issues. However,
if it's things like threadsafety not working on platform X, or whatever,
we should just roll forward to 0.61pre1 in a couple of weeks.

The TDS 4.2 versus Sybase 12.5 issue appears in 0.53 apparently, but 12.5
wasn't available at the time, so no one noticed it.

So, let's sort out which issues are truely regressions if any and address
those in a pl1 release, everything else, include horribly broken new
features go into 0.61pre1.

I'm debating whether a bug that affects lesser used and out of
date platforms (DU 4.0f, ahem we got rid of ours about three years ago) is
worth the developer time of branching and going through the release
process or just expecting those folks to move onto the CVS or snapshot
version. This is not to dis DU, we're obviously going make sure it works
moving forward, but is it worth the time?

Brian