freetds - Re: Starting to use FreeTDS (alt approach)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Leon Brooks <leon AT cclinic.com.au>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Starting to use FreeTDS (alt approach)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:37:29 +0800

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:32, Magnus Ahl wrote:
> Our company is about to embrace the use of FreeTDS in our software, mainly
> for communication with Microsoft SQL Server 2000. We use C++ as a coding
> standard for our CGI applications and up till today we have only used a
> MySQL database. Our intentions is to replace our own MySQL.cc base class
> with a wrapper which in turn decides if to use the MySQL or TDS library in
> runtime.

PostgreSQL is adequate for much that MS-SQL does, and better at some things
(licencing charges do spring to mind, but I'm speaking in technical terms).
If you have MS apps which must talk to the DB, PostgreSQL offers good SQL
standards support and a variety of interfaces including ODBC. I've used it in
a number of places where MySQL simply isn't feature-complete enough and
MS-SQL has disqualified itself on other grounds (generally security, cost,
requiring Windows, requiring huge hardware in that order). One QANGO here in
Western Australia has begun moving an MS-Access application across to
PostgreSQL from MS-SQL and is simultaneously Zopeifying the application end.

FreeTDS is particularly useful for draining an MS-SQL database onto another
server as editable text (SQL) commands. I've used this for backup as well as
for conversion.

Cheers; Leon

--
Computer Clinic (WA) P/L Lasting good health for your network!
+61-8-9207-3686 http://www.cclinic.com.au/

linux.conf.au 2003 The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://conf.linux.org.au/ 22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

  • Re: Starting to use FreeTDS (alt approach), Leon Brooks, 09/11/2002