freetds - Re: 0.61 wish list

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Eric Deutsch" <edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 0.61 wish list
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:13:02 -0700

> From: Brian Bruns [mailto:camber AT ais.org]
>
> On 9 Sep 2002, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
>
> > - dynamic query, even for mssql
>
> I would love to know how TDS 7.0 does this, from the network dumps
I've
> done, it seems to be all client side. It does not appear to be
possible
> in TDS 4.2 so this is a 7.0/8.0 extension if anything.

I just wanted to say that I'm particularly interested in this
functionality. It affects me most when I'm porting code for other
databases that use parameter binding. When I come across code like
this, I need to completely rewrite to build statements. I'm actually
more interested in seeing the parameter binding working for INSERT and
UPDATE statement than for SELECT, but I guess they're essentially the
same.

I have anecdotal evidence that these are very efficient in SQL Server
7/2000, so I certainly assume that there must be TDS 7.0/8.0 extensions
to do this, but I really don't know for sure.

I once made some tcpdump traces of a Windows client doing parameter
binding, but I cannot remember what became of it. Maybe there's nothing
in there that indicates how it's done.

If anyone's interested in investigating, I have some data to look at.

On a related note, if I wanted to sift through the tcpdump output, is
there a utility to help with this? Or is this the "TDS dissector for
ethereal" that you mention, Brian?

Thanks,
Eric