freetds - 0.61 wish list

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 0.61 wish list
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:33:48 -0400 (EDT)

Now that jkl is putting the final touches on the 0.60 release (I make a
terrible release manager as evidenced by the frequency of releases over
the years, so I'd like to express my gratitude to Jim for taking over the
responsibility) I think it makes sense to start thinking about what
features we want in 0.61 and beyond. If everyone put in their
plans/wishes we might be able to plan the upcoming releases better.

For myself I have two big items and some smaller ones.

1) Get a solid corpus of unittests for ODBC, and have it become a top
tier API.

2) Multibyte support. There's been some discussion on this, I'd like to
see at least UTF-8 supported decently, big5 and ucs-2, etc... might be
0.62 fodder, we'll see I guess.

3) output params for dblib are ready as soon as we open 0.61.

Not specifically 0.61 but futures:

1) placeholder support for TDS 5.0. This is partially done but crashes, I
hope to revisit it soon.

2) Get connection pooling working with all protocol versions.

3) Finish off the TDS dissector for ethereal (while not directly FreeTDS
related it'd be a big help).

So, that's my list, how about yours?

Brian