freetds - RE: unixODBC woes

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: unixODBC woes
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 07:45:03 +0100

Hi leon,

I've got freetds working with UNIXODBC 2.2.2, although only for (freetds)
development purposes.

I'm not trying to be smartarse here, but there is a section in the FreeTDS
user guide on how to get this configuration working. There is also (as I
remember) something on the UNIXODBC web site about configuring with FreeTDS.
As I remember, between the two articles , everything fell into place pretty
quickly.

As I also remember, it was not really made clear (anywhere) how you should
tie up the freetds configuration to the unixODBC one. ( i.e interfaces file
to odbc.ini )

for the record , my config files tie up as follows:

$<unixodbc>/etc/odbcinst.ini :

[FREETDS]
Description = Freetds latest snapshot
Driver = /home/thompbil/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
FileUsage = 1

$HOME/.odbc.ini :

[MS_GLOSS]
Driver = FREETDS
Description = Gloss SQL Server
Trace = No
Servername = MY_SERVER
Database = mydb
UID = myuid

$<freetds>/interfaces :

MY_SERVER
query tli tcp /dev/tcp \x000207760b9f343250000000000000000

$<freetds>/etc/freetds.conf :

[MY_SERVER]
host = 123.456.789.12
port = 1632
tds version = 8.0

The <freetds>/interfaces file and the <freetds>/etc/freetds.conf are
alternatives in freetds.

HTH

Bill