freetds - Re: Getting to work with Free TDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: rajani.shankar AT ssiworldwide.com
  • Subject: Re: Getting to work with Free TDS
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 23:54:57 -0400

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 04:33:07 -0400, "Rajani"
<rajani.shankar AT ssiworldwide.com> wrote:

> I am not clearly getting things from the User Guide of
> how to get it working.
>
> What are the steps to be followed?
> What is the configuration that needs to be done?
>
> When i try to compile the files in VC, it searches for certain header in
> sys directory, which is found to be missing?

Rajani,

No one I know of has built FreeTDS using Microsoft's compiler. I'm not
sure it can be built on a plain vanilla Win32 box, because (for one thing)
I think the Win32 API lacks an appropriate socket library. I would think
you would need cygwin and gcc; see http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ for
details on that.

To answer your question, the "configuration" referred to in the User Guide
describes a step that many free software packages use to examine the local
environment and prepare the package for compilation. These tools don't
exist in a native Win32 environment, because no one ever wrote them. They
do exist for most unix-like operating systems, and others, too.

If you're very interested in a Win32 port, tell us what you're trying to
accomplish (technically), and someone more knowledgeable will be able to
tell you what's needed.

Regards,