freetds - Nonfunctional datatype: UNIQUEIDENTIFIER

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Eric Deutsch" <edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Nonfunctional datatype: UNIQUEIDENTIFIER
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:00:28 -0700

Hi, I inherited a table from someone else that has the datatype
UNIQUEIDENTIFIER, which is supported by MSSQL 2000 at least. This is a GUID
type thingy. It is a 16-byte value typically displayed in 32 hex digits like:

9E79F6C1-8327-11D0-A9CE-02608C8F74F1

When I do a query against such a column (using DBD::Sybase), I get:

[QUERY]: SELECT TOP 5 ConditionsID,s_GUID FROM accesstemp.dbo.[Human PCR
Conditions]
error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow.
=-2104898907|šÂ@=
error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow.
=-2102394566|šÂ@=
error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow.
=-2098241821|šÂ@=
error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow.
=-2097918306|šÂ@=
error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow.
=-2094131412|šÂ@=

The first column is correct, but the second appears to be garbled junk. In
one test, I got the program to dump a 1 GB core, but that doesn't always
happen.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Eric