freetds - Re: Issue with IMAGE type in latest build

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Issue with IMAGE type in latest build
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:02:42 -0400

> From: Thompson, Bill D (London) [mailto:ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com]
> Sent: August 26, 2002 9:45 AM
>
> Hi All - I'm back...

Hi Bill! Bronzed, buff, and relaxed, I trust?

> A brief resume of the current situation would help me out!

Your best bet is probably the ChangeLog and CVS logs, not that they're
comprehensive.

Brian added Frediano to the project, and the madman from Italy has made
about a 100 commits while you were away. Not only impressive, but also
helpful. :) The conversion code is working much better; I haven't had a
segfault lately. He also put finishing touches on Brian's domain work; we
seem to have domain logins working now. Overall, things are more capable
and more stable than when you left.

Since my preliminary testing went so well, I'm adding error message handling
to convert.c. Since we'll be advertising the new conversion capabilities in
0.60, it seems to me we should issue bona fide error messages.

Frediano added a few conversions. We still need int_to_numeric(). Brian
explained to me that the array component is a base-256 representation, but I
haven't got a round tuit yet. It would be useful if you could double-check
all the char/varchar/text pad/trim/terminate stuff.

Nick Castellano sent us an implementation of vasprintf(), which replaced
vsnprintf() in dbfcmd().

So, you know, things have been pretty quiet....

> "A conversion to or from the datatypes SYBBINARY and SYBIMAGE
> is a straight
> bit-copy, except when the conversion involves SYBCHAR or SYBTEXT. When
> converting SYBCHAR or SYBTEXT data to SYBBINARY or SYBIMAGE, DBCONVERT
> interprets the SYBCHAR or SYBTEXT string as hexadecimal,
> whether or not the
> string contains a leading "0x". When converting SYBBINARY or
> SYBIMAGE data
> to SYBCHAR or SYBTEXT, dbconvert creates a hexadecimal string
> without a
> leading "0x". "
> The manual for cs_convert() says the same...

I doubt our char -> varbinary handles a leading "0x" per the above. And I'd
imagine SYBVARCHAR should be handled like CHAR, even though it doesn't say
so.

Welcome back.

original message. Please note that for certain accounts we do not accept
orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and for those accounts we will not be
responsible for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. Kindly refrain
from sending orders or instructions by e-mail unless you have confirmed that
we accept such communications for your account. Please also note that to
satisfy regulatory requirements we review the outgoing and incoming e-mail
correspondence of staff members serving certain functions.