freetds - RE: query on tsql to use hostname

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Abhilash_Shanmugham <Abhilash_Shanmugham AT Satyam.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: query on tsql to use hostname
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:03:29 +0530

freddy77>What version of freetds are you using ?
I downloaded from CVS last week . So i guess it must be 0.53
How do I find out .. ?

Now my entry in the /usr/local/freetds/
[ccr3mcg109]
host=172.18.57.40
port = 1433
tds version = 7.0

freddy77>Is password correct?
YES, BECAUSE IAM ABLE TO LOGIN BY SPECIFYING THE IP ADDRESS

freddy77>Can you post a trace (with ethereal or tcpdump)
I am attaching a log of tcpdump . I can't figure head or tail out of it
.. <dump.log>

freddy77>with a less powerfull password (create a test account)
I Promise I will do it soon.. ;-)

jkl>Since I don't have any real advice, I'll ask a few questions....

jkl>Does the situation change if you use a hostname instead of an address?
I think I already said that I am able to connect if I am using the IP
address
tsql -H172.18.57.40 -p1433 -Usa -Pgnu
but problem arises when I try
tsql -Sccr3mcg109 -Usa -Pgnu

now just to make some sense I tried these experments
tsql -Sjunk -Usa -Pgnu

Msg 10019, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Server junk not found!
There was a problem connecting to the server

I then tried tsql -Sccr3mcg109 -Uinvaliduser -Psomepasss
Unknown marker: 0!!
There was a problem connecting to the server
!!! NOW THE SERVER NAME HAS BEEN RESOLVED WHICH MEANS IT IS INDEED READING
FRM THE FILE !!!
!!!!IT IS NOT MAKING A DIFFERENCE WHAT USER NAME PASSWORD I WAS GIVING !!!

During this time on my SQL box I was running a trace which did not log a
single logon failure
so it essentialy means I have overlooked some setting on my linux box itself

jkl>Are you using any FreeTDS environment variables?
NO
jkl>Does setting TDSVER=7.0 help?
NO :(

jkl>For the record, what's the date of your snapshot?
I am sure it is the latest but how do I verify the build number.

jkl>What arguments did you pass to the configure script?
I ran autogen.sh logged in as root, I didn't explicitly pass any
arguements

cheers
Abhi

Abhilash M S
Microsoft Solutions group , Ph 4314500 x 7737
"You may fool the whole world down the pathway of life
And get pats on your back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass."