freetds - Re: Unicode - UCS2, UTF8 present and future...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Unicode - UCS2, UTF8 present and future...
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:28:12 -0400

At 11:04 AM -0400 8/19/2002, Brian Bruns wrote:
The UTF8 stuff needs works, specifically some of the applications out
there may assume 1 byte = 1 char and there is the possibility of buffer
overflows. So, it is not safe to use UTF8 unless you know the application
is not broken. I had planned on testing some popular applications to see
how they handled it but never got the chance. If we did, we could at
least have a list of where it is and is not ok to use UTF8.

What about some kind of setting in freetds.conf that enables proper UTF8 support? Or at the least, a compile flag to enable proper UTF8 handling.

I'm working on getting the latest version of my application out the door, but once that happens, I planned to spend some time on unicode/utf8. I especially wanted to implement iconv for Mac OS X using the built-in conversion routines the OS supplies. Probably not as important if UTF8 worked properly, but something I thought would be useful.

I'd tried using UTF8 everywhere, but ran into problems, likely from what freddy pointed out.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin