freetds - Re: Unicode - UCS2, UTF8 present and future...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Unicode - UCS2, UTF8 present and future...
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:04:13 -0400

These are known limitations and are addressed in the User Guide. There is
really not a whole lot we can do about inconvertable data, truncation at
that point seems like a reasonable fallback to me.

The UTF8 stuff needs works, specifically some of the applications out
there may assume 1 byte = 1 char and there is the possibility of buffer
overflows. So, it is not safe to use UTF8 unless you know the application
is not broken. I had planned on testing some popular applications to see
how they handled it but never got the chance. If we did, we could at
least have a list of where it is and is not ok to use UTF8.