freetds - Re: performace woes

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: performace woes
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:43:06 -0400

Hi,

> My first test, however,
> is showing some miserable performance results. An admin screen that takes
> .5 seconds to render under the current setup takes 30+ seconds to render
> using DBD::Sybase/freetds. The code is an almost perfect copy of the
> existing code, same the only real variable is the connection.

I'd be very surprised if this sort of performance degredation (0.5 secs to
30+ secs) was down to freeTDS. Much more likely in my view would be SQL
server itself. On this score you could try running profiler on your
database when you invoke your admin screen, and see what that shows up.
The profiler tool is capable of showing you all sorts of stuff (the
duration of absolutely every activity on the server side, query plans for
sql statements, etc.) I'd eliminate SQL server performance from the
equation before tackling other possible issues.

In order to eliminate freetds from the equation, why don't you try
building sqsh/freetds and submitting some queries through that. If a
simple query through this channel takes longer than through query analyzer
for example, its time to start looking at other factors (network etc.)

HTH

Bill