freetds - Re: bcp.c and 4.2 and/or 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: bcp.c and 4.2 and/or 7.0
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:54:38 -0400

Hey james,

Global Freetds support (GMT timezone) here!

well, the reason for this problem is I never tested it on SQL 7, having
only 2000 databases to work with. At a pinch, it's worth changing the code
so that whereever it says:

if (IS_TDS80(tds))

it should say

if (IS_TDS70(tds) || IS_TDS80(tds))

the things I found out about the TDS 8 protocol I could not be sure were
applicable to TDS 7 ...

The format of the bulk insert statement in 80 is

INSERT BULK <object_name> ( <column info> ... )

Followed by a colmetadata message and row messages exactly as returned by
a SELECT statement. In order to return the colmetadata message, I needed
to capture the information from the initial SELECT run against the target
object, store it in dbproc, and spit it back to the server...

I'm trying to get my DBA's to set me up a SQL 7 server (if they'll be kind
enough) then I can maybe do some testing myself. Don't hold your breath
tho' - I've currently got a ton of Oracle work to do...

Bill