freetds - Is a zero-length password OK?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Harry Felder <harry AT rentec.com>
  • To: freetds <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Is a zero-length password OK?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:08:51 -0400

Hi all:

I have a development MSSQL DB which was set up with a zero-length password,
which apparently MSSQL is quite happy to accept. Our MSSQL wizard says he has
lots of experience w/ setting up throw-away development DB systems this way.

It appears that (the current cvs of) freetds prevents using a zero-length
password to connect, although commenting out the test seems to allow
the connection to succeed.

So, is the check really unnecessary or is there more to this than meets my
inexperienced eye? (Yes, I know the dangers of such a "password"--I've got
lots of experience in those issues!)

If the check can be removed, I can generate a patch to that effect.

thx,

hf