freetds - Re: Coding style digression

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Coding style digression
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:13:37 -0400

> On 2002.06.13, Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org> wrote:
> > > Once bitten twice shy. Consequent to that "learning experience", I
> > > prepend
> > > all pointer names (except proper strings) with "p", hence 'int *pi;'. I
> > > don't say it's right; I'd forgive you if you thought that might mean
> > > '3'. :)
> > > But I like my pointers to keep their hands in the air where I can see
> > > 'em.
> >
> > pi = 3? What, do I look like I'm from Alabama?
>
> What would you rather pi equal? 2? 4?
>
> As an integer approximation, pi = 3 is pretty darn good.
>
> (We are talking about int *pi after all.)
>
> -- Dossy

Let me explain...The Alabama state senate a few years ago passed a law
that pi was equal to exactly 3 because of a passage in the bible about
something being 30 cubits around and 10 cubits wide and a perfect circle.
Needless to say Alabama was the butt of a great many jokes among
engineering and mathmatics circles (pun not intended ;-)

Brian