freetds - Re: patches committed, changes afoot

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: patches committed, changes afoot
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 23:33:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> There are two new utilities: freebcp, and tsql (a small isql that runs on
> over tds).

Just, a couple of quick words about tsql.

This is a first cut on of a generic isql-like program that sits directly
on top of 'libtds'. It has two basic functions in my mind, but I'm sure
people will find it useful in other ways.

1) We often get connectivity problems on the list, and instead of telling
people to compile sqsh, we have a tool included with the tarball. tsql is
also capable of attaching to a server *with no freetds.conf or interfaces
entry*. To do this just invoke it like:

tsql -U sa -P secret -H myhost.mydomain.com -p 1433

This will be extremely helpful in helping folks get configurations working
more quickly. OTOH, it can use a server alias from the conf file:

tsql -U sa -P secret -S myserver

2) For developers, tsql provides a way to fire a query, and debug the
libtds layer without the complication of dblib or ctlib code. This is not
always helpful, of course, but if it happens in tsql it's a good pointer
on where to look for the fix.

----

There are a few limitations with the current version (I prefer to look at
them as opportunities for improvement ;-)

I'd like to have a way to
. control the protocol version in use (-T)
. specify the default database (-D)
. verbose mode with more logging than anyone has a right to (-v, jkl
suggestion)
. probably some other options needed too
. some limited readline support is included, but there is not autoconf
support so it doesn't compile in yet.
. output is simply tab delimited at present and not pretty printed.
. i'd like to support 'echo "select foo from bar " | tsql' type thing

Also, I want to stress this is not any kind of replacement for the
all-singing, all-dancing SQSH, it's more of a diagnostic tool and useful
for some quick and dirty things on the side.

So anyway, enjoy!

Brian