freetds - Re: ODBC's SQLSetStmtAttr

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <james.cameron AT hp.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ODBC's SQLSetStmtAttr
  • Date: 28 May 2002 23:12:34 +1000

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 22:45, peter.restall AT bt.com wrote:
> Just thought scrollable cursors would be a nicety, as in
> int bob = db.records[100].fields(4);
> rather than sitting in a 'while()' loop iterating through one at a time.

But you'd still fetch all the data, right?

> What sort of design considerations do you have in mind ? In case it doesn't
> stick out like a sore thumb, I'm pretty new to ODBC programming :)

No worries, I generally do PHP not ODBC. If I don't need all the data
from the query, then I improve the query depending on what I do need. I
give more of the work to the SQL engine. Either selecting fewer
columns, adding criteria to reduce the matched rows, or (depending on
the implementation) limiting to a specific number of returned rows.

If I do need all the data, then a while loop is usually fairly easy, in
most languages.

--
James Cameron (james.cameron AT hp.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/ (or) http://quozl.netrek.org/