freetds - RE: FreeTDS and MS SQL known issues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: FreeTDS and MS SQL known issues
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:25:36 -0500

Eric Deutsch wrote:

> Perhaps the maintainer of the FAQ could add the items brought up here to
> the "Known Issues" section of the FAQ. If we can assemble a list of
> things that everyone agrees do not (yet) work, that might help folks
> like Daniel. Items that I know about:
>
> 1) Cannot fetch data from column of data type image from MSSQL2000
> 2) Cannot use dynamic SQL "place holders" [INSERT VALUES (?,?,?)]
> 3) Cannot connect to MSSQL using a Windows domain account

Fair enough. I've read about these problems on the list, but didn't
realize they were unsolved. I thought they were only ... undiagnosed.
But if no one has gotten them to work, I guess they're broken. For that
matter, we should add:

4) iconv has never worked successfully out of the lab. (or has it?)

I think -- correct me if I'm wrong -- domain logins are a documented
nonfeature. Both the FAQ and the UG caution you to make sure you're
using standard logins.

Rather than adding these things to the FAQ, I think we should remove the
section entirely, and rely on the bug-tracking in Sourceforge instead.
Even though I've read recently that Sourceforge has begun closing some
of their open-source policies, I think the bug tracking there is better
than anything we can do on the mailing list. It would also have the
advantage of segregating jTDS and FreeTDS bugs, which after all are
separately maintained.

Other suggestions welcome of course.