freetds - Re: Sybase and ODBC problem with PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sybase and ODBC problem with PHP
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:51:01 -0600

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 09:57:07AM -0500, Kevin Sayre wrote:
> I've attempted to configure PHP with freetds to use both the sybase
> features and the iODBC features. I configured Freetds to use the iODBC
> already. When I go to configure PHP though, it won't go through the make
> and gives an error stating this:

> /usr/local/freetds/include/sybdb.h:72: conflicting types for `RETCODE'
> /usr/local/include/sqltypes.h:182: previous declaration of `RETCODE'
> /usr/local/freetds/include/sybdb.h:80: conflicting types for `BOOL'
> /usr/local/include/sqltypes.h:96: previous declaration of `BOOL'
> /usr/local/freetds/include/sybdb.h:106: warning: redefinition of `BYTE'
> /usr/local/include/sqltypes.h:86: warning: `BYTE' previously declared here
> make[2]: *** [internal_functions.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/downloads/php-4.0.6/main'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/downloads/php-4.0.6/main'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

> Any ideas? This seems like I can't use 2 different database types, but
> that doesn't really make much sense. Has anyone done this before and
> gotten it to work? The base of the problem is that I use sybase through
> PHP to connect to our production SQL server, and now need to connect to a
> clients Oracle db through ODBC as well. Thanks.

This is a bug in *both* of these PHP extensions: header files that are
specific to individual PHP extensions should not be included by any code
outside of those PHP extensions. I seem to remember having looked at
the Sybase module previously for just this reason; but either it was
never fixed in PHP, or it's been broken again.

As a starting point, I would submit bugs against PHP for each of the
broken extensions. Hopefully, they have active maintainers who'll be
able to help you with this problem.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer