freetds - Re: [OT] Using Windows domain authentication from Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Hopfgartner <hopfgartner AT rolmail.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Using Windows domain authentication from Linux
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:05:53 +0100

Dossy wrote:

On 2001.12.06, James Cameron <cameron AT fax.sno.cpqcorp.net> wrote:

(Incidentally, does anyone know how to set up a PHP script on an Apache
server under Linux that will prompt for and validate against a Windows
authentication domain?)

At work, before the introduction of ActiveDirectory (which I
believe lets you also expose the directory via LDAP) I was
seriously looking at tearing out the relevant portions of
the Samba code (once the initial BDC code was written) so
that I could use a Windows NT domain to authenticate users.

I never got around to it, and now with ActiveDirectory on
the radar, probably never will ... but if there's a better
solution, or if someone's already done this ... I'd also
be very interested in hearing some details.

-- Dossy

At work we use a Python script, calles NTLM (search on freshmeat for it) to authentificate against an NT-Domain controller, in order to be able to use an NT proxy.

Peter